This file documents the the GNU `diff', `diff3', `sdiff', and `cmp'
commands for showing the differences between text files and the `patch'
command for using their output to update files.
This is Edition 1.2, for `diff' 2.4 and `patch' 2.1.
- Preliminary information.
- What file comparison means.
- Output Formats
- Formats for difference reports.
- Comparing Directories
- Comparing files and directories.
- Adjusting Output
- Making `diff' output prettier.
- diff Performance
- Making `diff' smarter or faster.
- Comparing Three Files
- Formats for three-way difference reports.
- diff3 Merging
- Merging from a common ancestor.
- Interactive Merging
- Interactive merging with `sdiff'.
- Merging with patch
- Using `patch' to change old files into new ones.
- Making Patches
- Tips for making patch distributions.
- Invoking cmp
- How to run `cmp' and a summary of its options.
- Invoking diff
- How to run `diff' and a summary of its options.
- Invoking diff3
- How to run `diff3' and a summary of its options.
- Invoking patch
- How to run `patch' and a summary of its options.
- Invoking sdiff
- How to run `sdiff' and a summary of its options.
- Incomplete Lines
- Lines that lack trailing newlines.
- If you think you've found a bug or other shortcoming.
- Concept Index
- Index of concepts.
automatically generated by info2www