This is a home page for the San Diego Chargers. Soon, there should be
a Chargers FAQ linked in here. For now, there's only a link to a page
with info about bolt-backers, the
electronic mailing list for the Chargers!
All this is brought to you by me, Vernon Harmon! I'm a nut for the Bolts!
The space below contains the most up-to-date news on the Chargers: scores,
injuries, trades, etc. And there is even a link here to a current Chargers
- Click here to see a breakdown of roster changes in the AFC West.
- Click here to go to the NFL page.
- Click here to see the most recent posts on the Usenet "alt" newsgroup for the Chargers.
Charger newsline phone number: (619) 284-7019
- Click here to go to the Nando X Chargers page.
- Click here to go to Eric Richard's Chargers History page.
- Click here to go to Mike "Lew" Lamar's Chargers page.
Last updated: July 19, 1994
Curtis Whitley has been waived; he was a backup center and guard, a long snapper and
was penciled in as a "Refrigerator"-type back in short-yardage and goal-line situations.
The official reason he was released was because he did not attend a mandatory practice.
His release comes one day after he was arrested for drunk driving in an automobile accident.
The Bobbies say that they had met with Whitley about his past problems and told him that
he had to keep up with his responsibilities to the team "and he failed to do that." [7-18]
Gill Byrd has officially retired. He will pursue a career in TV. [7-15]
This season's training camp opened yesterday for rookies, but not all the draftees
were signed. Have no fear, though: Beathard took care of business and all draftees
are now signed and in camp. All Charger Free Agents that they wish to keep have
also been signed, so it looks like they're ready to get down to business! [7-14]
Eric Bienemy has re-signed with the Chargers, apparently with a pay-cut. [6-7]
Sean Salisbury, a San Diego-area native, had been rumored to be close to signing
with the Chargers. Today, he snubbed the Chargers and signed a 1-yr, $1.1M
contract with the Oilers. The Chargers' highest bid had been $700K. Beathard
said that they will now likely talk to former Colts QB Jack Trudeau. [4-27]
The Bobbies have made it official: Natrone Means will "stop sharing" and become
the featured back in San Diego's offense this year. He will not share time with
Bienemy (who is a "currently unemployed" Free Agent) nor with Harmon (or
even Vinson, apparently, the RB just drafted). "The load's now on Natrone" according
to Beathard. [4-27]
Chargers had a mini-camp last weekend. Points of note:
- Means came in overweight. "The off-season is my time and I'll do what I want"
- Coach Ross is very impressed with Reuben Davis: good work habits, good strength and good hand speed. He expects a big pass rush this year.
- Vance Johnson noticed that Shawn Jefferson was tipping off DBs with his head while running patterns and helped him work on it. Johnson, Jefferson and Martin are becoming good friends and worked well with Humphries. [5-12]
FREE AGENT NEWS!
Note that this information may be incomplete, but it is not incorrect.
Free Agents Lost:
- Jeff Brady LB (Buccaneers)
- John Friesz QB (Redskins) - 1y, $900K base
- Steve Hendrickson LB (Raiders)
- Anthony Miller WR (Broncos) - 4y, $10.5M
- Gary Plummer LB (Forty-Niners)
- Mike Withycombe OL (Browns) - 2y, $550K
- Mike Zandofsky OL (Falcons)
Free Agents Signed:
- Jeff Brohm QB (rookie, Louisville)
- Reuben Davis DT (Cardinals)
- Dennis Gibson ILB (Lions)
- Gale Gilbert QB (Bills)
- David Griggs LB (Dolphins)
- Dwayne Harper CB (Seahawks)
- Vance Johnson WR (Broncos)
Free Agents Re-signed:
- Eric Bienemy RB (Chargers) - 1y
- Stan Brock OT (Chargers) - 2y
- John Carney PK (Chargers) - 3y
- Terry Crews LB (Chargers)
- Mike Dyal TE (Chargers) - 2y, $615K
- Trent Green QB (Chargers) -2y
- Courtney Hall C (Chargers) - 3y, $6.5M
- Darrell Hamilton OL (Chargers)
- Shawn Jefferson WR (Chargers) - 1y
- Eric Jonassen OL (Chargers) -1y
- Stanley Richard S (Chargers) - 1y
- Duane Young TE (Chargers) - 3y
Note that this information is incomplete(obviously).
- Nate Lewis (WR) traded to Rams for
- picks traded to Dolphins for Tony Martin (WR)
- Marion Butts (RB) and draft pick (1994: #78) traded to Patriots for draft picks (1994: #70, #137) [see DRAFT NEWS below for more]
- Burt Grossman (DE) traded to Eagles for
- Round 1:
- *NO PICKS*
- Round 2:
- 43. Isaac Davis G (Arkansas)
- 63. Vaughn Parker G (UCLA)
- Round 3:
- 70. Andre Coleman WR (Kansas State)
- 82. Willie Clark DB (Notre Dame)
- Round 4:
- *NO PICKS*
- Round 5:
- 137. Aaron Laing TE (New Mexico State)
- 145. Rodney Harrison DB (Western Illinois)
- 150. Darren Krein DE (Miami)
- 160. Tony Vinson RB (Towson State)
- Round 6:
- *NO PICKS*
- Round 7:
- 207. Zane Beehn LB (Kentucky)
Of note: Marion Butts was traded to the New England Patriots. We also gave the Pats our third round pick this year. In exchange for our generosity, Bill Parcels gave us the Pats' third rounder this year, plus their fifth rounder this year (you can see above how we used those picks).
All times are Pacific
Sunday, Sept. 4: @Denver W 37-34
Sunday, Sept. 11: Cincinnati W 27-10
Sunday, Sept. 18: @Seattle W 24-10
Sunday, Sept. 25: @LA Raiders W 26-24
Week 5: bye
Sunday, Oct. 9: Kansas City W 20-6
Sunday, Oct. 16: @New Orleans W 36-22
Sunday, Oct. 23: Denver L 15-20
Sunday, Oct. 30: Seattle W 35-15
Sunday, Nov. 6: @Atlanta 10 AM
Sunday, Nov. 13: @ Kansas City 10 AM
Sunday, Nov. 20: @ New England 10 AM
Sunday, Nov. 27: LA Rams 1 PM
Monday, Dec. 5: LA Raiders 6 PM
Sunday, Dec. 11: San Francisco 1 PM
Sunday, Dec. 18: @NY Jets 10 AM
Saturday, Dec. 24: Pittsburgh 1 PM
Vernon H Harmon, email@example.com