The software architecture
community would benefit from sharing a set of standard example problems.
These would improve our ability to work out ideas, exhibit techniques,
and compare results. The
Composable Systems Group
at Carnegie Mellon has been assembling such a collection of problems.
These pages are intended to stimulate a discussion about suitable problems:
what characteristics should they have, what specific problems would serve us
The idea of model problems
Current model problems
All the problems have short problem statements. Keyword in Context and
Mobile Robot have solutions. Calendar Scheduler has an extended
problem specification. We have some material in hand that isn't included
yet. We'll be happy to include new material, especially links to other
on-line material. Check back periodically for updates.
- Keyword in Context (KWIC)
- Given a set of lines, create an alphabetized list of the
rotations of those lines.
- Sea Buoy
- Collect and transmit weather data both automatically and on
demand; allow preemption for emergency services.
- Cruise Control
- Maintain the speed of a vehicle.
- Conference Refreeeing
- Solicit, referee, and select papers for a conference.
- Mailing List Handler
- Merge address information from multiple sources, eliminating
duplicates and observing reader preferences.
- Printer Spooler
- Manage print jobs within a printer network.
- Automate traditional library tasks, such as check-in and check-out
- Automated Teller Machine (ATM)
- Provide the usual banking functions with a remotely-located
- Calendar Scheduler
- Organize a meeting schedule.
- Translate source code for a programming language to executable
- Mobile Robot
- Design a mobile robot capable of executing tasks while monitoring
the environment, e.g., avoiding obstacles.