15-418/15-618: Parallel Computer Architecture and Programming, Spring 2020
From smart phones, to multi-core CPUs and GPUs, to the world's largest
supercomputers, parallel processing is ubiquitous in
modern computing. The goal of this course is to provide a deep
understanding of the fundamental principles and engineering trade-offs
involved in designing modern parallel computing systems as well as to
teach parallel programming techniques necessary to effectively utilize
these machines. Because writing good parallel programs requires an
understanding of key machine performance characteristics, this course
will cover hardware design and how that affects software design.
- 03 January 2020.
We have a very large waiting list for the course. Our maximum enrollment is 175,
limited by the size of the lecture room. Our procedure for managing the waitlist will be as follows:
- Waitlisted students will have the opportunity to work on Assignment 1 and turn it in by 11:00pm Wednesday, January 22.
Autolab accounts will not be needed.
- We will grade these assignments and register the top-performing students for the course by the add deadline (Monday, January 27).
- Performance on Assignment 1 will be the only factor in determining who gets off the waitlist.
- This is not a race.The order in which people submit their solutions will have no impact.
- Please do not contact the instructors in an attempt to circumvent this process.
- Meanwhile, if you are registered for the course but have doubts about your ability to complete the course, please drop it by January 29. Working on Assignment 1 will give you a good indication of our expectations for the course.
Prerequisites: 15-213 or equivalent (including 14-513, 15-513, 18-213, and 18-613)
||See the course syllabus for details (below are just a few overview bits).
||MWF 3:00-4:20 GHC 4401
|| 12 units
||There are four programming assignments, not evenly weighted. See
the assignments page for
||There will be two exams (in-class, closed-book).
||There will be five homework assignments.
||Piazza, office hours
| Office Hours