Heat 10 qts water & Burton Water Salts to 150F. Dough-in grain. Hold
mash at 136F for 30 minutes for protein rest. Heat 5 qts water to
200F. Add to mash to raise temp to 148F. Hold for 20 minutes. Heat
mash to 158F and hold for 20 minutes. Mash out at 168F for 5 minutes.
Sparge with 170F water to collect 6 1/2 gallons. Boil for 90 minutes.
Cool wort and add rehydrated yeast. Rack wort to secondary after ~4
hours to remove coffee and cocoa sediment.
- 5 lbs 6-row pale malt
- 3.25 lbs 2-row pale malt
- 1 lb munich malt
- 1 lb M&F crystal malt (~55L)
- 0.25 lb chocolate malt
- 0.25 lb black patent
- 0.25 lb black roasted unmalted barley
- 1 cup Grandma's Dark "Robust" Molasses
- 4.0 oz Hershey's Cocoa
- 4.0 oz finely ground espresso roast coffee
- 1.0 oz N.Brewer hop pellets (7.5%AA) (60 min)
- 1.0 oz Willamette hop pellets (4.4%AA) (60 min)
- 1.0 oz Willamette hop pellets (4.4%AA) (30 min)
- 1 pkg (1/3 oz) Burton Water Salts
- 1 pkg (11.5 grams) dry Edme Ale yeast
OG = 1.066
FG = 1.026