- How does the human brain use neural activity to represent the meanings of common words?
- How are neural encodings of word meanings similar and different across various individuals?
- What is the sequence of neural activity associated with comprehending a written word, a spoken word, or a picture, each representing the same idea?
Machine Learning questions:
- How can we train classifiers that detect cognitive states of a person based on their brain activity measured by fMRI or MEG imaging?
- How can we develop predictive models of neural activity for various stimuli (e.g., we have developed a model that predicts the fMRI activity observed when a person reads an arbitrary concrete noun)?
- How can we develop machine learning algorithms that integrate data from multiple human subjects participating in somewhat different studies, to train more sophisticated and accurate models of mental phenomena?