SCS Computing Facilities Server moves scheduled Dec 28-29
DAY/DATE: Monday-Tuesday, December 28-29, 2009
TIME: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Various email and web servers, Windows and MacOS printing, and file sharing services, as detailed below.
On Monday, December 28, 2009, and Tuesday, December 29, 2009, SCS Computing Facilities staff will move approximately thirty servers to our new machine room in the Gates Center. These moves will necessitate downtime for several services, as detailed below, and are being scheduled over the winter break so as to minimize disruption to the community while allowing Facilities staff to spend the holidays with their families.
On each day, servers will be moved in groups of 5-10 from the Wean Hall machine room to the new Gates Center machine room. Each system will be down for a period of several hours to allow for moves to be completed in the most efficient manner possible.
On Monday, December 28, the following services will be affected:
- Corvid webmail service may be unavailable.
- Exchange webmail and Windows Mobile client access may be interrupted.Outlook clients configured to use RPC/HTTP (Outlook Anywhere or Exchange over the Internet) may also experience interruptions.
- Mailman mailing list management, subscription management, and approval interfaces will be unavailable. Delivery of messages to mailing lists may be interrupted. Any messages received during such interruptions will be queued for delivery once service is restored.
- Users will be unable to change email forwarding or other properties using Jeeves or the Corvid lookup page. Read-only access to the Corvid lookup page will remain available.
- Windows and MacOS printing services will experience interruptions.
- The MONOLITH file server, including the PC_DIST share, may be inaccessible.
- Some MSDNAA software may be inaccessible.
On Tuesday, December 29, the following web services/sites will be affected:
- People Directory (http://people.cs.cmu.edu )
- Events Calendar (http://calendar.cs.cmu.edu )
- Machine Learning Calendar
- Distinguished Lecture Series
- Speakers Club (http://webapps.cs.cmu.edu/speakersclub )
- Robot Hall of Fame (http://www.robothalloffame.org )
- SCS News (http://news.cs.cmu.edu )
- The Link (http://link.cs.cmu.edu )
- Various departmental web applications
- Graduate Student evaluation (Black Friday) web services
- Staging and updates of departmental web sites
- High-volume web download services
SCS Computing Facilities apologizes for any problems or inconveniences this maintenance may cause. Please contact email@example.com or call the SCS Help Desk (x8-4231) if you have questions.
Thank you for your attention,
SCS Help Desk