SCS Computing Facilities supports most networking throughout the School of Computer Science. Our services including desktop connectivity, IP address distribution, and domain-name services (DNS). With the exception of our two machine rooms, SCS leverages the existing CMU network infrastructure.
PoliciesPlease refer to the Network Use Policies page for detailed guidlines concerning host names, domains, and creation of virtual we hosts.
SecurityThere is no firewall between SCS and the rest of the internet. Potential intruders scan each host on the SCS network many times per day, looking for security vulnerabilities. To compute safely in our open environment, please become familiar with our security documentation.
- Recommended Campus SSH/DTLS-based AnyConnect AnyConnect VPN client
- Fix the "Unable to resolve NetBIOS name" problem
- Use the Configure and Administer SCS Equipment form to request wired network support or add/change host registration information
- Configure your computer to obtain an IP address via DHCP
- Access the network using wireless networking
- Determine the hardware address of your computer
- Verify settings for your machine in the SCS Domain Naming System (DNS)