Configuring Thunderbird for ExchangeConfiguring Thunderbird under Windows XP to use the SCS Exchange server requires a setup similar to running Thunderbird against the IMAP server, as Thunderbird will use the IMAP protocol to communicate with the Exchange server (there is no native Exchange support in Thunderbird). To configure Thunderbird with the Exchange server, follow these steps:
Note: If you are using Thunderbird for the first time, or if no email accounts have been configured yet, Thunderbird automatically opens to the account creation screen. In that case, you can skip the first two steps below. If you see an "Import Settings" screen, select "Don't import anything."
- Open Thunderbird and click on the "Tools" menu, then select "Account Settings"
- Click the "Add Account" button at the bottom of the accounts column to the left to open the "New Account Setup" dialog, then select "Email account" from the list and click "Next"
- Enter the your name and email address in the corresponding fields
- On the next screen, select "IMAP", and enter the incoming and outgoing servers as "e2k3.srv.cs.cmu.edu" (if there is no "Outgoing Server" field, continue with the configuration process and see note below)
- On the next screen, enter the username as "scs\[username]" for both the incoming and outgoing servers
- On the next screen, name the account something recognizable
- On the final screen, review the information and click "Finish" to move to the next step
- In the "Account Settings" window, find the Exchange account that was just created, and under it click "Server Settings"
- Under the "Security Settings" section, select "SSL", then click "OK"
- Click "Tools", then click "Account Settings"
- Click "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" in the left column, then click the "Add" button
- Enter description as "Exchange Outgoing"
- Enter server name as "e2k3.srv.cs.cmu.edu"
- Enter your username as "SCS\<your_userID>, " using your SCS Kerberos principal identity
- Under "Use secure connection," click the "TLS" button
- Click "OK", then click "OK" again to close the "Account Settings" window