We provide hardware and software support for Apple desktops and laptops Mac Mini, iMac and MacBook systems running OS X. We typically support the latest two versions of OS X. We only provide support for Macs that are CMU owned and under monthly support charges with SCS Computing Facilities.
We do not support personally owned equipment including smartphones and tablets. You should contact Apple directly for assistance with your personally owned Apple devices.
Mac Software Management Tools
SCS Computing Facilities utilizes JAMF Software's Casper Suite of tools for Mac management. These tools enable the delivery of premium support options to the SCS Mac Community. All new hosts with software support are enrolled in this service.
Some benefits of this service include:
- Ability to launch simple user-directed OS upgrades
- Access to all SCS software via a Self Service App Store
- Easy search for and installation of all SCS printers
- Access to Apple's self repair and diagnostic utilities
For more information about this service including how to enroll, see this page. (Your Mac must be under software support with SCS Computing in order to be enrolled.)
We are an authorized Self-Service-Provider for Apple. Our trained technicians are Apple certified and are able to perform local on-campus service repairs for all Apple computer hardware. Authentic Apple repair parts are provided directly from the manufacturer. In most cases we can complete hardware repairs in one business day with Apple's overnight shipping policy.
We are currently installing Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) on new Macs. All Macs built by SCS will be deployed with our Mac OS X software baseline. See System Requirements for Mac OS X Mavericks to make sure your Mac can run OS X Mavericks or send email to SCS Help Desk for more information.
Please complete the Mac software installation/upgrade request form to request an installation of Mac OS X on your computer.
Running Windows on your Mac
We support and recommend Parallels Desktop for Mac for running Windows on a Mac.
- Users who will be subscribing to SCS Computing Facilities VM Software Support (minimum 6 month subscription) are provided with the standard SCS Windows 7 Enterprise configuration that includes all baseline applications (Microsoft Office, Symantec Antivirus, etc.) Users are required to pay for the Parallels for Mac Desktop Software license.
- Because SCS Computing Facilities VM Software Support includes the cost of the Windows 7 license, users who do NOT subscribe to SCS Computing Facilities VM Software Support must purchase Parallels for Mac Desktop Software as well as a Windows 7 operating system license.
For more details on the services and fees associated, please see the Virtual Machine support page.
Related DocumentationMac Support Overview [PDF]
- Information about printing from a Mac in SCS
- Backups and restores
- Backups and restores of your Mac
- Recommended Apple Computers
- Recommended Apple computers available at the Carnegie Mellon Computer Store