Microsoft has released Windows, Exchange, and Outlook updates to address the changes in Daylight Savings Time for 2007. Users may encounter problems with Outlook meetings, appointments, and reminders scheduled during periods at the start and end of DST. Microsoft supplies an Outlook tool to aid users in correcting these problems, but due to limitations in Office versions prior to Office 2007, users should double check all Outlook meetings, appointments, and reminders during the affected periods for correctness.
- Outlook Users
- After Windows is updated but before any new meetings, appointments, or reminders are created, users should run the Outlook Time Zone Data Update Tool. The tool allows users to selectively move affected events.
- To confirm that Windows has been updated, Windows XP SP2 users should open the Add/Remove Programs control panel, check the 'Show Updates' box, and look for 'Hotfix for Windows XP (KB928388)' under Windows XP Software Updates. Windows XP SP1 and Windows 2000 users should check their application event logs for an WSH event with description DST 2007 Registry Update and Refresh has been executed on this computer.
- If the Outlook tool is run both after the Windows update and after new meetings, appointments, or reminders are created, it may mistakenly move events during the affected time periods.
- Exchange Users
- The Exchange service will be restarted during the updates the evening of February 4th. Users may notice brief service interruption.
- Facilities can correct Exchange calendar entries for users by request.
Outlook Time Zone Update Tool
Once this operating system patch has been installed, users that maintain their scheduling activities in Microsoft Outlook must run the Time Zone Update tool. This will make the adjustment to all events scheduled in Outlook during the affected time periods.
Note: This tool MUST be run after the operating system patch has been installed and before any new appointments are made in Outlook Calendar.
For full instructions on how to apply the operating system patch and run the Time Zone Update tool please go to:http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~help/dst/outlook2.html