In September, the Campus Coalition for Peace and Justice met with Wayne
Babish, the former chief of police of Brentwood, who was fired for not
supporting the police who killed Jonny Gammage. He told us something
interesting things, for example:
- The PointView hotel on Brownsville road in Brentwood, close to
the Municipal Building, has been a center of extreme right-wing organizing.
- Councilman Cranmer, who was also trying to reform the Brentwood
cops, was physically assaulted during his campaign and his
nose was permanently disfigured. The perpetrator was never
found or punished.
- After beating his former girlfriend Judy Barrett for some time,
John Vojtas was given a protection-from-abuse order, but
none of the police or city council people ever heard about it.
- Violating federal law against police being involved in political
campaigns, several Brentwood police recruited city council
people and promised to campaign for them, in order to oust
Babish. Mulholland was the center of this resistance.
- Recently asked by a reporter why the police in Brentwood still use
racial slurs, Brentwood cop David Frankenfield said "they
[African Americans] kill their own people in drive-by
shootings, why do you think they [cops] use the 'n' word."
The Post-Gazette didn't find this fit to print however.
- Shawn Patterson is one of the cops who helped to kill Jonny Gammage
rbut was never charged or even subpeonaed. It turns out that
his father, Commander Patterson, worked with D.A. Colville
on the police force, making Colville's conflict-of-interest
even more blatant.