How to get Windows software
By default, Facilities-built Windows hosts come with a baseline software environment. You can download most of these packages, plus additional software specific to SCS or CMU, from the following sources:
- Monolith is the SCS Windows software distribution host and print server, accessible to all users in the Windows SCS domain. Monolith's PC_DIST share contains an assortment of licensed and noncommercial software. See our instructions on mapping Windows drives for details on how to access this resource from your PC.
- Software for New Affiliates (Andrew)
- Through this site, Computing Services distributes numerous software packages, for Windows and other platforms, to the CMU community.
Licensing restrictions on some software may require special permissions or impose other prerequisites before downloading. Contact email@example.com with any special requests.
Contact SCS Help if you encounter problems installing this software. In some cases, we can provide installation media if a network install is not feasible.
Other sources of Windows software
If you are looking for Windows applications not available on the SCS or CMU software distribution servers, several other sites provide downloadable Windows software. A few of these are listed below. Note that SCS Facilities can provide little or no support for applications obtained from sources other than the official SCS & CMU distribution sites.
Note: If you need a commercial, licensed software package, please check our software licensing information before purchasing the software yourself. We have licenses and/or discounts for many commercial packages. Contact <firstname.lastname@example.org> with any questions about obtaining licensed software.
You should never run software that you receive via unsolicited e-mail or obtain from untrusted sources. If you install any network-aware software (such as a Web, database or file server) on a PC, you must keep it up-to-date with respect to security patches or you will get hacked.
The following offsite links will open in a new browser window:
- Microsoft DreamSpark
- Microsoft's program for providing 190+ software titles for research and education purposes at no cost. This software is available only while you are affiliated with Carnegie Mellon. Contact email@example.com to request access to Microsoft DreamSpark.
- Microsoft Download Center
- Microsoft's download center, with documentation, demos, product addons, etc.
- Mozilla products
- A collection of Mozilla software, including Firefox and Thunderbird