PurchasingThe Purchasing group within SCS Computing Facilities provides purchasing and property-management-related services to members of the SCS community:
- Technical procurement: We are responsible for purchasing all technical equipment, (that is, computers and other items that directly support SCS research) by the Departments that compose SCS.
- Technical receiving: We are the central delivery point for all shipments to the School of Computer Science.
To contact SCS Computing Facilities about either function, send mail to: <email@example.com>.
For details on how to buy equipment through SCS Facilities and how the purchasing process works, see the Make a purchase page.
Our Glossary defines several terms that have specific meanings within the University purchasing system. The first use of such terms in the text below will be italicized and linked to its definition.capital and noncapital, must be arranged through SCS Facilities if the cost, including shipping, exceeds $1000. Noncapital Tartan Card purchases can be made either by SCS Facilities or by the cardholder. For nontechnical purchases (consulting, furniture, etc), contact Marcella Baker <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- Capital equipment purchases cannot be made using Oracle strings that are within 90 days of their final close.
- Be sure to have a PO created by us and any necessary supporting documentation in place before services are rendered or products are ordered.
Purchases may be picked up between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
You must pick up your order within 30 days of notification or make special arrangements with us. To make a special arrangement, please contact <email@example.com>.
Resources and formsThe following Websites and forms relate to purchasing, receiving, and property-management tasks [Offsite links will open in a new browser window]:
- CMU Procurement Services
- Carnegie Mellon's PS Department is dedicated to managing the effective and efficient procurement of quality goods and services in support of CMU's mission and goals. Their Website maintains numerous purchasing-related forms, including the:
- Preferred supplier program overview, with indexes by supplier and commodity
- Purchasing Checklist and Bid Summary Form [.pdf format; .doc & .xls also available]
Note: If your purchase will exceed $2500 and you are buying with government funds from a nonpreferred vendor, you must obtain competitive bids and complete pages one and two of the "Bid Summary" form
- Procurement card application
- Off-campus authorization form [.pdf]
- Complete this form if you intend to take equipment off campus. Mandatory for laptop purchases
- SCS Facilities services
- Use the Configure and Administer SCS Equipment application to register for services for computing equipment.
Additional resourcesThe following offsite links will open in a new browser window:
- CMU Property Accounting Services
- These are the folks who keep track of asset tags and the equipment to which they are attached.