Subject: Minolta Docs.
From: "Scott M. Thayer" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 15:17:37 -0400

Paul,

I checked on meatloaf (the computer that Martial has serving the
scanner).
The directory /usr/VIVID/doc (on meatloaf) contains the following txt
files:

    (Note    _E.txt files are in English  _J files are in Japanese)

    VIVID_SGI_E.txt    : this is the technical document describing the
    coordinate frames and data structures of the
    minolta scanner.

    TOOL_SGI_E.txt    : a description of the VIVID acquisition and
    processing tool

    README_E.txt      : typical intro and installation stuff

That is the total distribution of docs that I have wrt to the Vivid
700.

We also have a command line tools called 'acquire'.

this tool, which we call from scripts, has the following options. I
think you will recognized the arg_parse style....we use it quit often.

sthayer>acquire -

Usage: acquire
%S                      filename root of minolta range data files [R]
-manual                 do not run the auto focus procedure
-ping                   ping the device
-unix                   Write UNIX Format Files (pgm,ppm,raw) else
(bmp,raw)
-lpower [%d]            set the laser power [default = 255]
-focus [%d]             set the focus distance [default = 1800]
-zoom  [%d]             set the zoom [default=5]

We use it to serve up minolta images to an interface that runs on an
NT. It dumps out a raw range file in floating point; a scaled gray level
range file (suitable for viewing);  and a color image file.

The raw file is just a binary dump of the range data. I believe the
principle viewing format that we dump out is  JPEG (the command line is
a bit dated).

The other parameters are essentially correct. Your class is welcome
to both the source and executable versions of this code should they
so desire.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help with.

regards,

smt