Hello, California!I have defended my thesis in July, finished some projects at the lab, and now moved to California to join the Sequencing Unit as a principal scientist at Roche Molecular Diagnostics.
Short bioI am a fifth-year PhD student in computer science at Carnegie Mellon University, I am interested in algorithms for processing and modeling using high-throughput biological data as well as information visualization. My advisor is Carl Kingsford. I started my undergraduate career in Computational Mathematics and Cybernetics (CMC) at Lomonosov Moscow State University and transferred to University of Maryland in my 3rd year. I received a B.S. in Mathematics and Computer Science in 2007 and M.S. in Computer Science in 2009. After a short break, I joined Maryland's computer science PhD program in the Fall of 2010. I transferred to CMU's computer science program with my advisor in 2012 and defended my thesis in 2015.
SHARQTry SHARQ - a tool that groups public sequencing experiments by tissue and cell type for easy data access! Sequence Read Archive? Shoot me an email!
TEACHINGTechNights@CMU session on genome assembly: slides & handouts, some photos.
Slides on preparing your grad school application. Here is another useful resource from Mor Harchol-Balter.
TA, CMSC423, Fall 2011: Bioinformatic Algorithms, Databases, and Tools
TA, CMSC122, Summer 2009: Web Programming
- Rapid Separable Compression Enables Fast Analyses of Sequence Alignments
D. Filippova, C. Kingsford. ACM BCB. 2015.
- Identification of alternative topological domains in chromatin
D. Filippova, R. Patro, G. Duggal, C. Kingsford. Algorithms for Molecular Biology. 9:14. 2014.
- Multiscale Identification of Topological Domains in Chromatin
D. Filippova, R. Patro, G. Duggal, C. Kingsford. WABI 2013.
- ChromoVis: Feature-Rich Layouts of Chromosome Conformation Graphs
D. Filippova, G. Duggal, R. Patro, and C. Kingsford. Unpublished manuscript.
- Resolving Spatial Inconsistencies in Chromosome Conformation Measurements (journal version)
G. Duggal, R. Patro, E. Sefer, H. Wang, D. Filippova, S. Khuller, and C. Kingsford. Algorithms for Molecular Biology. 8(8):10. 2013.
- Resolving Spatial Inconsistencies in Chromosome Conformation Data
G. Duggal, R. Patro, E. Sefer, H. Wang, D. Filippova, S. Khuller, and C. Kingsford. WABI 2012.2
- Coral: an integrated suite of visualizations for comparing clusterings
D. Filippova, A. Gadani, C. Kingsford. BMC Bioinformatics. 13(1):276. 2012.
[pdf] [webpage] [ISMB poster]
- Dynamic exploration of recording sessions between jazz musicians over time.
D. Filippova, C. Kingsford, M. Fitzgerald, and F. Benadon. SocialCom 2012.
- The Missing Models: a Data-Driven Approach for Learning How Networks Grow.
R. Patro, G. Duggal, E. Sefer, H. Wang, D. Filippova, and C. Kingsford. In KDD, 2012. Best video.
[pdf] [website] [video] [KDD poster]
- Mining Multivariate Accident Data.
D. Filippova and M. L. Pack. In Transportation Research Board 88th Annual Meeting, pages 1-18, Washington, DC, 2009.
- ICE -- Visual Analytics for Transportation Incident Datasets.
M. L. Pack, K. Wongsuphasawat, M. VanDaniker, and D. Filippova. In IEEE Internation Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, pages 200-205, LasVegas, USA, 2009.
- Visual Analytics for Transportation Incident Data Sets.
K. Wongsuphasawat, M. L. Pack, D. Filippova, M. VanDaniker, and A. Olea. Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2138:135-145, 2009. Best Paper.
- Interactive Exploration of Multivariate Categorical Data: Exploiting Ranking Criteria to Reveal Patterns and Outliers.
D. Filippova and B. Shneiderman. Technical Report HCIL-2009-38, University of Maryland, College Park, 2008.
[pdf] [website] [software]